Thursday, December 07, 2006

Relaxing Week 7

Week 7 was the most relaxing week that I have had since my time in Ireland. Last weekend Ali and I just stayed in Listowel, Ang, our friend who is student teaching in Trim, came to visit us. She came in Friday evening but because of complications with weather and the buses she did not get in to town until 11pm. After she got here we just went back to the house and talked for a while and then we went to bed.

On Saturday we decided to go shopping in Killarney. We took the 11am bus and were planning on going shopping all day and hanging out in Killarney. Before the bus stop we finally took some pictures of Listowel's town square and some pictures of the Listowel Castle. I have been living in Listowel for the last 7 weeks and have not taken one single picture of the place to remember it. So on the way down to the bus stop on Saturday we decided to take some pictures of our 'hometown'.

Listowel Castle





Listowel Town Centre



St John's (Church) Arts Centre.

(St John's has established itself as the focal point of visual and performing arts in North Kerry with a monthly programme of drama, music, dance, film and exhibitions. The centre is now rightfully regarded as "the premier venue for touring theatre in Ireland". )



When we finally got to Killarney, as the Irish weather would have it, we got poured on. When we left Listowel the skies were blue with a few clouds. But when we arrived in Killarney 1.5 hours later the skies were completely grey and it was down pouring! So instead of leisurely shopping just bopping in and out of stores we had to sprint between stores so that we did not get completely soaked. Oh well, we still found some good deals, but it was not the day that we had expected. I am beginning to realize that we do not have it quite as bad in Wisconsin as I had previously thought. Yes our weather changes rather quickly, but nothing like it does here in Ireland. It is truly amazing how it can be bright blue skies one minute and literally the next minute the sky is black and there are 60 mph winds with hail stones and rain pelting you in the face. It is pretty amazing. Saturday after we got back from Killarney we picked up a few bottles of wine and we sat in Ali's room and drank it and talked all evening. It was a very fun and relaxing night after our cold and stressful day.

Sunday we woke up and everyone was gone to church so we sat and ate breakfast, Ang left around 11:30 because it is a 7 hour bus trip from Listowel to Trim. After Ang left Ali and I sat at home and did lesson plans and watched movies. We had a good afternoon, we had the whole house to ourselves, we made lunch when we were hungry and we got to make what we were hungry for. Basically Sunday was a lay on the couch and watch movies day. Because that is all that Ali and I did.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty normal days. But after school I had some great experiences. On Monday night me, Ali and the girls (Abigail and Lisa) made chocolate chip cookies. We had a great time!!!


Abigail (right) and Lisa (left) helping make the cookies...they are great bakers!














Ali and Lisa stirring the dough











You can't forget the chocolate chips!!!


Isn't it obvious that Lisa's favorite part of baking is clean up?!?!?!?!


The girls enjoying the finished product!

Tuesday night was very interesting. It was my first parent teacher conferences. When the conferences started I was really nervous. I didn't know how the parents were going to react to a young, STUDENT teacher who was from America telling them how their child was doing in school. But after the first two sets of parents my nerves were completely settled. The parents were amazing and nice. Granted I have great students so I didn't have to relay any bad news...and that always helps. But the parents were great. Some of the parents asked me how my time was going and how this school is different from the schools at home. Some of them asked how I liked Ireland and what I have all seen. The parents were so nice. There was also serious talk about the girls and how they were doing in my classes. One of the parents said that their daughter was wondering if she could have a little extra help outside of class but she didn't want to ask me in front of the class so her mom and I talked about it and we got it all sorted out. One of the parents was concerned with behavior, but definitely should not have been. I had a great time with the parents. It was nice to see where the girls came from and to meet their mom, dad or both parents. I enjoyed the openness and honesty that the parents had. I really liked that they felt comfortable to ask for additional help and that they felt confident in my ability and my teaching to ask me questions and my opinion on how to best handle their child's situation. I am not going to say that I want parent teacher conferences all of the time, but the next time that I encounter them I will definitely not be as nervous.

I cannot believe that I am now through with 7 weeks of my Ireland experience. Only one more week left. This weekend I am going to have to make the best of it, my last weekend in Ireland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home