Friday, November 24, 2006

The Girls and Presentation Secondary School

This week at school has been very interesting and very hectic. On Tuesday and Wednesday I was observed by Neville. He is affiliated with St. Norbert College and he observes all of the students that come to student teach in Ireland, Scotland and England. He is a very nice man and I was very relaxed when he was in the classroom. When he was done observing me he said that I did very well. The one thing that he told me I could improve on is my use of the word 'ok'. He said that I use it a bit too often, so I should just watch myself. Other than that though he said that I did a great job controlling the three classes that he observed. He said I had great lessons and that I was very clear in my presentation of the lessons. I was very pleased with how my observations turned out. I was nervous in the beginning but everything turned out fine.

PICTURE OF ME AND NEVILLE


On Tuesday it was Presentation Day. This is a day to remember Nano Nagle, the lady who founded the presentation school. There are presentation schools all over the world, and the first one was founded right here in Ireland by Nano Nagle. She is a very well known woman and is celebrated every year on November 21. Because of it being Presentation Day on Tuesday we had a prayer service that the girls put on.


PICTURE OF GIRLS IN CHURCH


The girls were singing and dancing at the ceremony. They were also praying for all of the presentation nuns around the world who are helping people in many countries. There were even presentation nuns who went to New Orleans to help with the victims of Hurricane Katrina. In the final hour of class of the day another group of girls put on a play for the students and teachers. The teachers also got involved and were playing a game of Weakest Link in front of the girls. It was a very fun and entertaining afternoon.


I have never heard of Nano Nagle before but now having experienced my first Presentation Day I am somewhat educated on her life and her ambitions. The girls really got into the day and it was nice to see all of the artwork around the school


PICTURES OF NANO NAGLE INFORMATION

Thursday was Thanksgiving, but it did not really feel like Thanksgiving to me. Usually there are thanksgiving ads on TV and everyone is talking about their plans for Thanksgiving, but in Ireland Thanksgiving is not celebrated, so it felt odd when I walked into school and everyone was saying "Happy Thanksgiving Miss" Many of the girls were asking about our traditions and what thanksgiving is and in most of my classes we had a good discussion about traditions and thanksgiving. During short break in the morning Sister Nuala (the principal of the school) came up to me and handed me a present and a card. I was shocked, I was not expecting anything and here they gave me a present so I would remember my first thanksgiving away from home and my first Thanksgiving in Ireland. When I opened the gift I got a beautiful necklace with a Celtic knot on it. It was very beautiful and I was very greatful for the teachers kindness.
My first year class also drew me a thanksgiving card, wishing me a happy thanksgiving! I do not have the girls on Thursdays and they still thought of me I was really touched.

PICTURE OF MY THANKSGIVING CARD


Thanksgiving night I went to Jim and Toni Lynn Flemmings house. They are friends of JP and Fidelma's and they moved from Indiana to Ireland 5 years ago. They still celebrate Thanksgiving every year. Since they knew that JP and Fidelma had an American student living with them they asked us to celebrate thanksgiving with them. It was very nice, we had a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and of course pumpkin pie. It was very nice and I really appreciated the offer. The meal really made Thanksgiving real for me, I was very greatful.

This week I finally got around to taking pictures of my school and of my classes:


FRONT DOORS TO THE SCHOOL


Main Building of the school


My 1st Year Girls


My 2nd Year Girls and me

The 4th Year Girls

5th Year Girls (Mrs. O'Conner's Class)

2 Comments:

At 12/17/2006 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ms Hallet!! its emer ere 4m mrs oconnors fifth year clas i jus said id pop in 2 say helo!! hope u got bk 2 america safely...we r gona miss avin u round d skool ul av 2 cum bak n visit us sumtime!!! d weathr is stil crap ere bu who cares its nearly xmas nly 3 days left at skool woohoo!!! neways im gona go away again il visit ur page again anothr time so take care n merry xmas!!! (",)xx(",)

 
At 1/18/2007 12:28 PM, Blogger Emma said...

Hi Ms Hallet.Emma Costello from Ms OConnors 5th yr maths.Just being looking at the pics!Mine is terrible!Hope you had a good christmas.Hope you visit us again here soon.All the best,
Emma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home